Friday, August 21, 2009

Packing is a silly sorta thing


This move will be my fourth in four years - it seems it's been a while since I've had any future expectations for a home in a long while. Every stop has been a temporary one - every apartment hasn't been a home. No point in painting the walls, no point in gathering nice things or furniture. Our next place in Peterborough is nice, but it'll be temporary again, as we continue to search for a place that will work out for us both.

While packing up the things we unpacked only a few months ago, you can still find the boxes of stuff that didn't even get unpacked the last time you touched them. CD cases and movies are the biggest perps - and books, too. Boxes and boxes of books. These boxes are sort of like time capsules that dart you back to the last time you moved, the last time you had the items from the box out, the last time you used them, the first time you bought them.

And having your thoughts skip through time is kind of like the book I'm reading right now, Slaughterhouse-Five, by Kurt Vonnegut. It's about a man whose mind skips around his life, literally darting from his time during WWII, his childhood, his career, his time in a mental hospital, his time at school, meeting his wife, etc, etc. Skips all over the place. I was surprised to find that this was also a movie back in the 70s. I'll have to try and rent it some time - but I have a feeling that it's not available in DVD - better pack up the VCR while I'm at it, I guess.

I've got a good lead on a cool job out in Peterborough - not sure what will come of it, but I'd be remarkably excited to have it pan out. I could be working with Parks Canada with the Trent-Severn Waterway National Historical Site of Canada, or something like that. It's a mouthfull, but it's also a cool job. We'll see what happens -

No comments: