Saturday, November 14, 2009

Lefevre's Redemption [weekly update]

While it is Nanowrimo this month, I've missed a good 10 days off the start, and I'd rather complete my work with Lefevre's Redemption before committing another month to another project - so I think I'd rather prioritize this year and let Nanowrimo be a reminder of great things that can be done, rather than a commitment.

That being said - at the beginning of the week, I was on Scene 2 of Chapter 11 of the second draft of the novel bringing me in around page 56. Lots of work still to do - and it's hard to pick up where you left off so many weeks ago.

Chapter 11, sc. 2 - had to include a minor character, erase some time-travel conflict, include more character conflict while maintaining the integrity of the scene. It worked out, I think.

I've also gone ahead and included a bit of "set up" in one of the new scenes I created to help introduce items more gradually. This helps so that when something does come up, it doesn't seem "remarkably convenient" all of a sudden. So, for example, if Luc needs to use a motorbike instead of his car, it's better to mention that he has a motorbike early - so that it doesn't seem like I invented it on the spot (even though I did *wink*)

Next thing you know, I'm about to start Chapter 12 and I realize - most of the action that happens in this section is from 12 o'clock noon. But then the next chapter jumps back to around 9 a.m. (and those two story threads are supposed to connect at some point). Well, this was one of the problems with conflating both of the time lines into one story, meaning, it was going to take some extra work to get this to flow properly.

I wound up readjusting Chapters 12, 13 and 14 - bringing scenes and sections from one chapter into another, deleting material, and it's going to require an old character to take on new roles in order to get everything to fit together. Not easy, but not so bad considering I've laid out all of the scenes so carefully and in such detail.

I've managed to put in about another 20 pages into the second draft, and that's not bad for a mere three day's work!

So here's my goal for this next week (seven days) I want to finish the second draft of the novel. It's not going to be easy - but I've blessed with having the time to get it done - and it would be a shame to waste that.

I'm currently mid-way through chapter 13 as of posting this, meaning this is what remains:

Chapter 13, scenes 2, 3
Chapter 14, scenes 1, 2, 3, 4
Chapter 15, scenes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Chapter 16, scenes 1, 2, 3, 4
Chapter 17, scenes 1, 2, 3, 4
Chapter 18, scenes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Chapter 19, scenes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Chapter 20, scenes 1, 2, 3, 4
Chapter 21, scenes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Chapter 22, scenes 1, 2, 3
Chapter 23, scenes 1

So that's allot of work, but I'm not intimidated. Is it going to be easy to stay on task like this? Probably not - do I have any idea how long this will take to stay on pace each day? Not at all - but it will definitely be interesting to see how it all works out. I just really want to get this second draft finished so that is a project that I finally am able to say I've wrapped up.

No comments: