Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Lefevre's Redemption update

The last few days have been very progressive, and that's encouraging. I realize more and more that there just isn't much left to go over with this book. I've got a funny feeling that I'll go through another major edit before I submit this to any publishers - but that's the next step. I've basically reformatted the entire structure of the story, and I'm happier for it.

Looking back at my original concept for the book, it's nothing similar to what I intended to write - but it's a good story that does say many of the things I wanted to say. I originally was inspired to write this book from two sources, "The Man Behind the Curtain," (I think it aired in early 2007) an episode in the third season of Lost, and a Denzel Washington movie called Deja Vu (2006). I don't know why, but I was very interested in writing a tragedy that involved time travel (after Deja Vu was a movie that SHOULD have been a tragedy, with a clever tweak to the ending).

This past week has been very good to the novel - some more rearranging and organizing of thoughts, characters and scenes, and original writing, plus heavy editing, and it's coming together nicely.

In last week's update I had 133 pages completed, and now at 154 (almost 20 new ones, which is great). The first draft of my novel from back in the day (which, if you've read it, you read the first draft) was 180 pages long. I think this second draft will be a little shorter, but perhaps not by much.

I believe in the last post I outlined how many more scenes were required in each of the remaining chapters - well, I'm mid-way through chapter 22, which is still a long chapter, but doesn't require a lot of revisions. I like the way it's written. The chapters 23 and 24 are brief and tidy - so I'm very close, in reality. Having this done by the end of 2009 is not only doable, but it's a certainty. I'm really looking forward to sharing the second draft for peer reviews.

Chapter 22, scenes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Chapter 23, scenes 1, 2, 3
Chapter 24, scenes 1

The other great part of writing, reviewing and editing this part of the book is that this is where all of the payoffs are coming. This is where all the characters' story arcs come together and all of the plots converge into one place - it's really a magical spot where all of the plotting and writing and crafting of the story are all worth it. I'm so glad I get to work on the last part of the book as the last thing I do in the rewrite.

Anyhow, wish me luck. I should be done soon.

No comments: