Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Lefevre's Redemption weekly update

So - this week I've was out of town for about five days, which had an impact on how much progress I could achieve, and I also got two new writing assignments with short deadlines, so I've been prioritizing those projects.

This means I got my grandmother moved into her new apartment out in Brampton, and was in Windsor for a couple of days. Over that time I was able to make some progress on the novel.

I got through another 10 pages (from 105 to 115) but more importantly I was able to plot out the beat structure for the next three chapters. Because much of these final chapters have to incorporate a new character's involvement, the divided involvement of my 'time traveller' and restructure everything so that it flows properly, it took quite a while to think it all through and evaluate what goes where, etc, etc.

So, still on the schedule:

Chapter 18, scenes 4, 5, 6
Chapter 19, scenes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Chapter 20, scenes 1, 2, 3, 4
Chapter 21, scenes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Chapter 22, scenes 1, 2, 3
Chapter 23, scenes 1

Much of what happened in the second part of the book in the first draft was revisiting what happened in the first part from a new perspective. So, while some things were going on, other things were going on at the same time - but I was able to do this with many perspectives, many characters and over about 60 pages. Now that it's all supposed to happen at once in one linear narrative, well things get complicated, long-winded and simply take a lot more time to wrap your head around. That being said, I'm making sure I wrap my head around it all and package it in a way that it's overwhelming, and rewriting it, for you, so you don't have to do it.

I hope by next week I'll be back on schedule with getting this stuff done.

No comments: