Monday, May 31, 2010

Hawksley Workman tabs | play I'm not working on

Three items today. 

Item 1) 
if you want to play the Hawksleys Workman song I linked to the other day called Worhall's Portrait of Gretzky on your guitar, it's a simple 4-chord progression, though the lyrical timing requires some practice. It's all yours now.

Simply play the Em, G, C and D chords in progression to the tune. Do some palm muting, some barr chords, some plucking, whatever makes it sound a bit different between the chorus, pre-chorus and verse to satisfy you, but ultimately, these are the chords that work while you're playing. No doubt, there's a more complicated and pretty way to play it, but for suckas like you, me, and Rampage Jackson, this is the simplified version. Have fun. 

p.s. I am having a load of fun playing this song. Perhaps too much fun. 

Item 2) King of the Road for today is: 
a comic I had no way to relate to while I was in Grade 6, but
 wrote anyhow. Virginity conceded, I'm pretty sure a normal sex life would be defenestrated after something like this.

Caption: Joey's sex life was ruined

For the record, I knew no Joeys at that point in my life, believe it or not. None. 

Item 3) 
There's a play that's going to be performed in Windsor in December for World AIDS Awareness, and I am hoping to participate in some of its development. While I never got a chance to see the play that I advised on (S_eedy Ca$h would have been very funny, I only needed to actually find a performance that was playing to confirm it) I am hoping to be even more involved (cough - buddy, I want to help! - cough) with this new play. [For the record, no matter what the organizers say about the title, I still want to help you make this into the best it can be, pal. Let's make some magic!]

The premise: a former hockey pro now lives in a condo in Windsor, adjacent to a homosexual hockey fan (Calgary Flamer) and in the midst of coming to terms with each other's character and characteristics, they learn how the HIV/AIDS virus has affected both their lives. 

It's a comedy, and if you ask a professional comedian why they do comedy, it's to make a social difference, which a play like this has the tremendous potential to achieve. We were going over titles for the play the other day. We wanted something that had relevance to the play, importance to our characters, and most importantly caught the eye of anyone passing by. It was implicit in the title that we wanted to use a marquee NHL player's name to make the show noticeable. 

Ovechkins and Crosbys aside, I have put all my influence (which isn't much) behind the title "Bobby Orr Knees." The title has arguably the greatest NHLers' name in it, and it is a bit jarring - shouldn't there be a possessive "S" in there? The answer is "no," even though we will be talking about Bobby Orr's Knees. 

Ultimately, the play is about afflictions that prevent people from being all that they can be, and one of the running conceits throughout the play is intended to be the concept of having "Bobby Orr Knees." The idea that someone could have been the greatest at what they do, but they were afflicted with something that they simply couldn't overcome, an impenetrable barrier that prevented them from achieving legendary status. In short, it's about every single person who can't have a family or a long-term relationship with others because they've contracted one of the most devastating diseases in the world. 

A long time ago I wrote down, "the important things in life are the things written on your tombstone." Loving father, beloved wife, father of eighteen, etc. These are the things in your life that make your life meaningful, and the HIV/AIDS virus jeopardizes all of that - I'll bet Bobby Orr won't want "8-time Norris Trophy winner" on his tomb-stone. But to be remembered as a valued member of his community and beloved member of his family will certainly be on there.

It's an incredibly apt concept, conceit and title - unfortunately the programmer's with the money to back the production think that "Bobby Orr" rhymes too much with "Bobby Whore." 

I'll leave it at that - except to say that my back up title was going to be "Slut McCrackenwhore's Diaphragm is Full of Herpes." Which undoubtedly would have been shot down as well.  Here's hoping the play is as moving and meaningful, and funny, as I know it CAN be, including the title. Stay tuned for more information.

No comments: