Thursday, November 25, 2010

Routine is good

So, it's just over one week from my first day on the job (I've now put in 7 full work days) and the routine has been fantastic. I'm not tired and yawning in the mornings, I'm not hitting snooze and getting to bed on time is way easier when you're getting up at the same time in the morning. So far, really great. I like it.

CSI and Fringe tonight - and I think I'm going to wrap up Nanowrimo (only about 4,000 words to go) before I do any more on the Tomb of the Undead (though I posted page 13 last night). I've got the next six pages drafted out - I just haven't had time to sketch, ink and shade them yet.

Once Nanowriomo is out of the way, I won't feel like I've got a deadline to worry about while I want to be drawing.

Interview: Tim Kring, Creator of ''Heroes'' and Author of ''Shift''

Chuck
Guide to literary agents.com


This blog rarely features interviews with authors, but when the chance came to sit down with Tim Kring, creator of TV's "Heroes" and author of Shift, a mind-bending thriller released in Aug. 2010 (buy it here), the chance was just too good to pass up. Tim talked with me about his writing process, the difference between writing novels vs, screenplays, and much more. Here's what he had to say:

Your first novel just came out: Shift. It’s been described as The Manchurian Candidate meets The Dead Zone. Besides that, and without giving too much away, tell us a little more about what the book is about.

Shift is an historical thriller set in 1963. It focuses on an actual CIA clandestine mind control program called “MK Ultra.” This program dosed up to 120,000 unwilling and unwitting American citizens with LSD in an attempt to find a truth serum or a Manchurian Candidate for use as a weapon against the Soviet Union during the Cold War. Our story posits the one in a million person (Chandler Forrestal) whose brain chemistry reacts to this drug, unlocking hidden potentials in his brain that give him, in essence, super powers.
Chandler finds himself embroiled in both this conspiracy and an even greater one, the plot to kill President Kennedy.

LSD and government mind control plans are fascinating and often times based in fact, like in Shift. Is that where your story started: with the mind control angle?

I wanted to write an historical novel, and I wanted it to have a conspiracy feel. I started doing research about the CIA and stumbled onto the MK Ultra program. I then wanted to place an “everyman” at the center. In our story, this everyman is a grad student who stumbles into this conspiracy.
I wish I had more time to elaborate on my thoughts on Tim Kring. I think he's the solitary reason that Heroes was so disappointing, but it was his show to ruin, which he did. I just haven't got time right now to do that.

Thanks for reading, and hope you're having a great day.

No comments: