Saturday, September 10, 2011

Unsolicited job offers don't gain more credibility by assuring you they're "perfectly legal."

I have a Workopolis account, but I haven't really applied for many jobs advertised there in all the years I've been on it. Sometimes I get a newsletter from the site with posts about funny things that happen at jobs, and that's about it.

However, the other day someone "saw my resume" and "offered me a job" at E.L.F. Finance Group L.T.D.

A team of "seasoned top executives in Finance and Investment Operations" with "unparalleled track records of success in brokerage operations" liked my old resume that I haven't updated with anything beyond construction and kitchen jobs ....

"We Have A Part Time Job For You!" the e-mail says.

From my resume they decided to offer me the opportunity to provide investment assistance resources to all business owners "willing" to invest their capital in order to expand their companies

The company has "registered requests for investment contracts in Canada." Does that mean they're not registered in Canada?

"We're currently trying to expand our services over in USA and Canada," the e-mail reads.
-Why do we prefer hiring people instead of opening an office over in Canada?
-Because it is far cheaper paying a 10% commission rather than going through all the paper hassle of registering a business in Canada and opening offices all over the country. Besides, there is no certainty that our company will succeed selling the products in Canada, that's why it is called a Market Test. Upon, a successful result, we will being opening offices in Canada.
It sounds like there isn't even an office to work out of? You just transfer payments from Canadian companies to the UK? .... uuuhhhhh

LEGAL

The job we are offering is perfectly legal , legit and all our transactions will be verified by our Financial Department before they are forwarded to our employees for cashout.
Any job offer that testifies that it's "perfectly legal" sounds a bit dubious. Probably not the best way to get people to buy in.

In an unrelated note, I heard of this scam that goes something like this:

it's a scam, newest one in the line.

by Watcha on reality-check.ca
June 9, 2011

You "receive" payments from overseas companies, deposit into your own bank account, then make "payments" to other companies on behalf of the company.

the scam part works like this.
you receive $1000 check from company A and deposit it into your bank.
company then tells you to pay X, Y, Z companies for $300 ec.
that's $900 and you keep $100.

Looks good?
not really...
The issuing bank of the "check" from Company "A" bounces and the money is taken out of your account to cover it $-1000. So you are now out $900 and have just given your wealth to 3 "companies" owned by the scam.


It is a variation on the "I buy your item for X amount including shipping and you send shipping money to Y person"
Aha!

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Hey ... read the comment you left on my blog about more James Neal pictures. I would be interested!! THANKS :) Stephanie

legs said...

I have had a few financial company job offers over the years on my Workopolis website. Totally just a mass message sent out. Nothing on my resume has ANYTHING to do with what they are looking for.

Rogers said...

All the more reason to think it's a scam.