Friday, September 14, 2012

A tough day for me

This is going to be the day - and it's going to be tough. To follow up on my earlier posts about my displeasure with being a "sports fan," I'm ready to go cold turkey. But it's become so ingrained in my everyday life that it's going to have be both intentional and difficult.

No, I'm not quitting Lobo or smoking cigars - I quit being a sports fan.

The radio all morning used to be sports talk from 590 and 1050 AM. My entire Twitter feed is basically sports writers splitting hairs (hilariously at times) over what's going on in the league, and most of the articles I read online are related to what's going on in the NHL.

Now - my disillusion with sports is probably only part of the reason I'm doing this. More importantly, having a kid makes spare time slim. No doubt, to embrace doing something new means sacrificing old things. There's only so much time. And sports is one of the things I'm willing to give up - especially when my favourite league won't be around to watch anyhow. The time is right.

So - what will come next? What's going to be so interesting?
More importantly, flipping the channel because I don't give a rat's ass about tennis, golf, soccer, football, etc won't be such a source of frustration.

For the past 10 days, my solution to skipping the inane sports talk has been the Offsprings' new album Days Go By. It is absolutely fantastic!

No comments: